Tattooing is a form of art. Sometimes it’s unfortunate when the tattoo artist messes up, no matter how hard they try to redo it. However, with proper help, tattoo removal can be quick and easy. Here are some tips on how to properly remove that unwanted mistake with almost no scarring or trouble at all.
1. How the tattoo was made- Visible tattoos are often treated with laser therapy or light-based procedures, which break up and disperse the pigment in the skin, making it less visible. However, some tattoos still remain after many treatments because of how deep they were etched into your skin. Tattoo removal can’t be 100% effective because it is impossible to make sure all of the ink has been destroyed.
2. Use a good cleansing cream- Aloe vera, coconut oil, sunflower oil are great for this purpose. Soak the tattoo with the oil mixture before bedtime and follow up with glycolic or salicylic acid on the tattoo to remove it.
3. Use baking soda- Mix a small amount of baking soda with water until it forms a paste. Gently rub this mixture into the tattoo and let it sit for about 15 minutes before thoroughly rinsing it off. This helps fade the color then finish by applying an organic moisturizer that will help the skin recover.
4. Lemon juice- Apply lemon juice on the tattoo for about an hour or until it starts to burn, whichever comes first. Then make a paste with baking soda and water to rub into the tattoo before rinsing off with cool water. Repeat this process two times daily until the tattoo fades away.
5. Shea butter- If you live in a humid environment, use shea butter as a natural moisturizer. It will slowly fade the color of your tattoo as time passes.
6. Remove it with laser surgery- This process is expensive and can sometimes damage the skin around the tattoo because it’s so close to the surface of the skin. Laser surgery uses a highly concentrated beam of light to burn the tattoo pigment into tiny pieces so your body can flush them out completely. With regular treatments, laser surgery is one of the most effective ways to remove tattoos.
7. Use tretinoin cream- Tretinoin cream, which is also known as all-trans retinoic acid, helps remove the top layers of skin to expose the tattoo ink. It should be applied three times a day during the healing process. When using this type of cream it’s also helpful to apply moisturizer after cleansing with glycolic or salicylic acid and applying tretinoin cream. With time and patience this process will fade the tattoo significantly.
8. Use acetic acid- Mix equal parts of water and white vinegar to create a solution that is similar to apple cider vinegar. Apply this mixture on the skin with a cotton ball every night before bedtime for about two months, depending on how dark or how big the tattoo is. Keep this up until the tattoo has been completely bleached.
9. Use a body scrub- If you can’t afford to go under the needle or get laser surgery, there are some products on the market that will fade your tattoo gradually over time. These include Tattoo Off and Tat B Gone which both use an exfoliating cream.
10. Cover it up- Instead of removing a tattoo completely, some people choose to hide their tattoos and cover them up with other art. One way to cover it up is with a henna or sugar paste drawing on top of the tattoo until it’s totally hidden. The thing you must remember about this process is that if the artwork peels off the tattoo will still be visible, so it’s best to get a thick paste that won’t slip off easily.