Digestive health is a wide topic including many different things in order to maintain well-being. It starts in the mouth with chewing and tear of food, however it’s not limited to that when talking about supplements for digestive health since when we consider supplements we need to think about what they do externally and internally. Supplements can benefit the mouth, stomach, small intestine, large intestine and the rest of the gastrointestinal tract which are all apart of digestive health. The top 5 supplements to improve digestive health are:
- Digestive enzymes are key players in this topic since they help break down food particles mechanically as well as chemically with their substrate. Enzymes are important because they can help reduce inflammation, swelling within digestive organs, maintain healthy bodily functions, promote good gut microflora and reduce food allergies.
- Probiotics are known for maintaining healthy digestive tracts by inhibiting harmful bacteria growth in the stomach. The scientific name may vary depending on the strain but it’s important to note that probiotic supplements only include beneficial bacteria not yeast or fungi. These supplements can help lower cholesterol, promote weight loss and act as antioxidants to name a few.
- Prebiotics are essentially the same thing as probiotics but they work through different means. They help support beneficial microflora in the large intestine by nourishing it in order for it to survive in their harsh environment. Most people have little to no prebiotics in their diet since they are mainly found in grains, legumes and nuts. They can be taken with prebiotics to help increase their effect like brewer’s yeast or wheat bran.
- Digestive health supplements containing ginger root extracts are an excellent way to improve the digestive system by neutralizing stomach acids, promoting healthy digestion of food and keeping your stomach happy. Ginger root supplements also soothe the lining of the stomach with its anti-inflammatory properties when taken with food or on an empty stomach. It can be beneficial for people dealing with irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers and indigestion because it acts as a gastroprotective to help ease symptoms of bloating, chronic pain, vomiting etc.
- Digestive health supplements containing black cumin seed extracts are also beneficial for digestive function since they improve bowel movements by acting as a laxative when taken with water or juices. They are effective in reducing the amount of time it takes for food to pass through the intestines but can cause loose stools when taking on an empty stomach. They can help reduce the risk of colon cancer because they contain thymoquinone which is a natural phytochemical that’s been known to kill defective cells before they become cancerous.