Happiness is a life goal for many people and there are plenty of ways to achieve it. Since happiness is subjective, different things make different people happy. But while what makes you happy may be personal, the report below takes an interesting look at the habits common among those who are usually “happy.”
Have a look:
The following are ten habits commonly shared by happy people:
1. They are optimistic, but they’re also realistic. Optimism is having an overall positive attitude and feeling about things in life, even when faced with the worst of circumstances. Realistic thinking on the other hand takes a more practical approach to life’s difficulties without sugarcoating them.
2. They exercise regularly. There are numerous proven benefits of exercise when it comes to happiness, including improved mood, self-confidence and body image, and stress management. Exercise can also reduce the symptoms of anxiety and depression related to many mental health disorders. You don’t have to work out for hours every day; a few short sessions of exercise each week will do.
3. They maintain healthy relationships with friends and family. Having supportive, encouraging people in your life who care about you is important to your happiness level . Happy people have positive relationships to go along with their optimism and realistic thinking skills, so make sure you nurture the good relationships you have now.
4. They’re mindful. Mindfulness is living in the present and focusing on what’s happening right now without dwelling on thoughts of the past or worries about the future. Happy people are aware of the world around them, which allows them to notice opportunities for growth.
5. They’re grateful for what they have and take positive action. Happiness comes from appreciating what you have and who you are, not from waiting around for more. Take action by setting goals and working to achieve them.
6. They’re spiritual or religious. There’s evidence that spirituality can contribute to happiness in many ways; it gives you a moral compass, offers emotional support, creates social connections with like-minded people, helps cope with adversity, and offers meaning to life.
7. They practice positive thinking. Happy people think positively about themselves and their lives as well as the future. By thinking optimistically, you can expect good things – instead of dwelling on the bad that has happened or worrying about what might happen in the future, you’ll be able to enjoy each moment.
8. They know how to forgive and let go of anger and resentment. There’s a lot to be said for the power of forgiveness. Not only does it allow us to move on from the past, but it also helps decrease feelings of stress, anxiety, depression and hostility . So learn how to forgive yourself and others – you’ll feel better for it and it could even make you happier.
9. They see problems as challenges. When looking at life’s hardships, happy people are able to realize that these issues can provide opportunities for growth . Instead of getting overwhelmed by problems, think of them as an opportunity to try something new or learn a new skill .
10. They keep busy. When you’re constantly bored with nothing to do, it’s easy to fall into a negative mindset because there isn’t enough stimulation in your life. Happy people are able to keep themselves busy and entertained without going overboard .
How many of these habits can you relate to? How has practicing some of these habits affected your level of happiness? Let us know in the comments section.